eBook available for $36.95. Click HERE for more information.
Unlike most texts in critical thinking, Reason in the Balance focuses broadly on the practice of critical inquiry, the process of carefully examining an issue in order to come to a reasoned judgment. Although analysis and critique of individual arguments have an important role to play, this text goes beyond that dimension to emphasize the various aspects that go into the practice of inquiry, including identifying issues and relevant contexts, understanding competing cases, and making a comparative judgment. Click here to view a PDF of the complete Table of Contents.
Distinctive Features of the Text:
- Emphasis on applying critical thinking to complex issues with competing arguments
- Inclusion of chapters on inquiry in specific contexts
- Attention to the dialogical aspects of inquiry, including sample dialogues
- Emphasis on the spirit of inquiry
The Second Edition Features:
- Updated examples and items of current interest
- New dialogues on vaccination, prostitution, and climate change
- New material on biases in reasoning, including emotional, psychological, social, and cognitive
The Reason in the Balance Website includes:
- An Appendix on Logic
Instructor materials for Reason in the Balance, including an instructor's manual (PDF format only), PowerPoint files, and chapter quizzes, are available to qualified course instructors. Course instructors: click here for more information, and to request, instructor materials.